Hi, I'm Rona...and I'm pretty random. I blurt out things that come to mind. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious. Tune in to find out what I mean. Drop me a line at email@example.com!
(bio or interesting statement coming soon!)
Things to do to keep your computer safe!
by Rona Rona,posted Jun 5 2012 7:36AM
Some people just aren't that computer savvy. There are things you can do while surfing to keep your computer safe. Here is a list of things people should do...or NOT do.
10 Dangerous Things Users Do Online
Researchers at internet security service provider CyberDefender look at some of the most dangerous things users do online. They also offer advice on how to avoid these negative habits.
1. Checking the “keep me signed in” box: Never check this box if you are not using your personal laptop. If you just sign in to any site from a public PC, make sure to sign off once you are done. Delete your browser history when completed. Use your browser’s privacy mode where possible, and never save passwords.
2. Failing to update: Java, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash are responsible for an astounding number of PC infections due to security exploits. The best way to avoid becoming a target is to update all three software as often as you can. Make sure to update Windows operating system by setting Windows updates to install automatically.
3. Searching for celebrity gossip: Malware authors know that people naturally gravitate towards the sex and celebrity combo, so new attacks are targeted specifically towards this crowd. If you must, search for news on Google News, Bing News or other aggregator. When searching on Google, use https://www.google.com instead of the common http://www.google.com.
4. Using BitTorrent: Stick to official downloads and streams such as iTunes, Hulu and legitimate websites. Avoid torrent sites at all costs, as some of its ads could be compromised.
5. Searching for free adult content: This might turn out to be quite expensive, as free porn sites can be downright shady in the way they treat users. Stick to paid sites, and also invest in a high-quality security suite.
6. Online gaming: Be careful when downloading free to play (F2P) clients. Do not give out any kind of information, personal or not, to people you meet while gaming. At the very least, you could have your virtual items stolen. At worst, you could lose real money. Avoid falling for the old “FarmVille Secrets” scam. You will either download a Trojan or expose your Facebook login info to criminals.
7. Leaving Facebook privacy settings open: Carefully review your privacy settings on Facebook. Do not let “friends of friends” see your birthday or contact. All of these could be used to impersonate you.
8. Connecting to unknown wireless networks: In public places, be careful about logging into unknown (private) wireless networks. Make sure you choose the official one.
9. Using one password for all accounts: If that one password leaks out to cybercriminals, your entire online life is suddenly open to the world. Keep different passwords for different purposes. Certain browsers can also help with a “master password” that keeps a multitude of passwords in check. Using a tool like Roboform or Password Vault that encrypts information and uses best practices to generate passwords is an even better idea.
10. Trying to get free stuff: If an online offer sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Avoid any give away that is not supported in a big way by a known brand. Keep a security suite fully updated to catch phishing attempts resulting from this kind of scam.
The Transit of Venus is today (Tuesday) and Wednesday. This is a relatively rare event, and the next one won't happen until December 10, 2117. The exact time depends on where you are on Earth; NASA has a list of times for US cities and for the rest of the world: http://venustransit.nasa.gov/2012/transit/
Summer movies are getting on a roll now! Two weeks ago we had Iron Man 3, last week The Great Gatsby debuted with success and now this week we have Star Trek Into Darkness! I saw it on Friday and I must say: BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR so far! The 2009 reboot...
The Summer movie season is finally here, thanks to Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man 3! This of course, is the third Iron Man movie, but is actually just as much a sequel to last year's blockbuster: The Avengers. If any of the Avengers (Captain America,...
Okay, normally I see movies right when they come out, but I waited a little while to see Oz: The Great and Powerful. I finally saw it and I loved everything about it! Great visuals, great 3D, great story, great cast, tons of family fun and magic! I am...
Christian Lopez is a friend of the West Virginia Morning Show and have stopped by to chat about AI (well, as much as he's allowed to say) and he played his new original song "As Far As I May Go". Gooood stuff. Check it out.