Today, I felt crummy. You could kinda hear it in my voice. I sounded gravely and was slow on the uptake. I have had allergies my whole life. They've gotten to the point that they are infrequent so I don't take prescription meds but when they hit me (like they hit other people), it sucks!!!! Sorry the slacking today. As I type this, I'm planning my early escape cause I feel so crummy. Ugh.
6:15 Sure, I Know That Song...What's It Called?
Like Al Bundy trying to remember the name of his favorite song from high school in a famous episode from Married with Children, we've all been stuck trying to recall the title of a tune or movie.
Nowadays, you can always Google the answer but an even better method is simply asking you spouse or some other loved one.
According to a study published in the journal Memory Studies, working together on trying to remember something either important or trivial is generally more effective than doing it on your own.
For instance, couples got to the answer faster when they tried to remember the name of a musical they saw. The same was true when it came to remembering detailed descriptions of certain events they shared.
The researchers did note that when couples tried to recall words from studied lists, they did as well independently as they did together.
Also, I tried to find documentation for more info about this story but only found myself spiraling into the depths of some journal about Memory. You can look here but, you may be a little overwhelmed like I was. http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-memory-and-language/
6:45 WHAT YOUR PIZZA SAYS ABOUT YOU: 0(According to stats from Domino’s Pizza...that I could not find outright so I found this blog with pizza stats on it. I spiraled, I admit) http://brandongaille.com/14-pizza-industry-statistics-and-trends/
● Men wearing muscle shirts when answering the door order pepperoni 3 times more often than any other topping.
● People who have pierced noses, lips, or eyebrows ask for a vegetarian topping 23% more often than a meat topping. (I fall into this category but not always with these toppings)
● Those who have wind chimes on the porch are 4 times more likely than average to want olives.
7:15 I'm going to take my teeth out, sit down and start complaining about how easy the kids have it these days! Do you know what college courses they are allowed to take? I'm old.
RIDICULOUS UNIVERSITY TOPICS:
Looking for a ‘bird course’ to take this Fall at a higher learning institution? Check out these …
• Staffordshire University, Stoke-on-Trent UK … ‘David Beckham Studies’.
• Columbia College, Chicago IL … ‘Zombies in Popular Media’.
• Georgetown University, Washington DC … ‘Philosophy of Star Trek’.
• University of Durham, Durham UK … ‘Harry Potter & The Age of Illusion’.
• Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland … ‘Feel the Force: How to Train In the Jedi Way’.
• University of California, Berkeley CA … ‘Arguing With Judge Judy’.
• University of Texas, Austin TX … ‘Invented Languages: Klingon and Beyond’.
• University of Virginia, Charlottesville VA … ‘Gaga for Gaga: Sex, Gender and Identity’ or there’s a 4-week seminar series on “Game of Thrones”.
• Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs NY … ‘The Sociology Of Miley Cyrus: Race, Class, Gender, and Media’.
• Rutgers University, New Brunswick NJ … ‘Politicizing Beyoncé’.
• Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool UK … ‘The Beatles, Popular Music and Society’.
• Whitman College, Walla Walla WA … ‘Mad Men: Media, Gender, Historiography’.
8:15 I got a good idea, if Facebook goes out, don't call the police! Just sayin.
Brief Facebook Outage Prompts Calls to 911
If you can't log into social media for whatever reason, go out and get some fresh air. Read a book. Make actual eye contact with actual friends. Just don't call the cops: that's the message from Los Angeles Police Department Sergeant Burton Brink, who said a 30 minute Facebook system outage led users to dial 911.
Via his Twitter feed, an exasperated Sgt. Brink said Friday, "Facebook is not a Law Enforcement issue, please do not call us about it being down, we do not know when FB will be back up!"
The outage that affected millions of the social media giant's users was quickly resolved. The panicked users' major malfunctions, however, apparently have yet to be.