Well here we are, it's the Memorial Day and you, the family and friends somehow find yourselves trying to find a way to be part of the holiday. I spoke to some friends at farmersalmanac.com and they had some ideas.
1. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance. If the weather doesn’t cooperate and you have a household full of family, pull out the video camera. Sit your friends/family down individually, or as a group, and interview them for historical/remembrance purposes. Having a family member talk about the past is a great record to have. If an elderly grandparent is available, it would be a good time to get them talking about the family tree. If young children are there, ask them questions about today – their favorite color, song, friend – and then be sure to re-interview them a year later and see if their answers are the same.
2. Picture Day! Declare Memorial Day a day to go through old photos (and/or watch old family videos) organizing them and perhaps putting them into albums. Share pictures with friends and family members. Better yet, have friends bring baby pictures and play – name that baby with them.
3. Who’s afraid of a little mud? So it’s raining, but if it’s warm and you’re not afraid of the mud, go outside! Maybe a mudslide football game will be more fun the original poolside plans! Go ahead – get dirty.
4. History day. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died serving our country in the military. It was called “Decoration Day” because people used to visit graves of service people and decorate the graves with wreaths, flowers, etc. Use this day to learn more about US history and/or wars. If you’re crafty, decorate a wreath or poster with some interesting facts.
5. Inside picnics. Lay the blanket out in the family room, and enjoy your picnic foods indoors (you won’t have to worry about any ants visiting!).
There you have it, just a few ideas to help make Memorial Day enjoyable for everybody whether it's raining, you're laid up with an injury or if you just want to save some money. The most important thing is to spend time with family and friends, and remembering those who have served our country, or in the case of the next generation, will serve our country.
Summer movies are getting on a roll now! Two weeks ago we had Iron Man 3, last week The Great Gatsby debuted with success and now this week we have Star Trek Into Darkness! I saw it on Friday and I must say: BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR so far! The 2009 reboot...
The Summer movie season is finally here, thanks to Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man 3! This of course, is the third Iron Man movie, but is actually just as much a sequel to last year's blockbuster: The Avengers. If any of the Avengers (Captain America,...
Okay, normally I see movies right when they come out, but I waited a little while to see Oz: The Great and Powerful. I finally saw it and I loved everything about it! Great visuals, great 3D, great story, great cast, tons of family fun and magic! I am...
Christian Lopez is a friend of the West Virginia Morning Show and have stopped by to chat about AI (well, as much as he's allowed to say) and he played his new original song "As Far As I May Go". Gooood stuff. Check it out.