It's going to be mega hot this weekend. Do your best to keep cool and hydrated! I'd love to see you out at Rita's Ice on Saturday from 4pm-6pm. It'll be a blast!
How far would you go? Would Your Retrieve Your Phone From The Toilet?
What gross (and probably not-so-smart) things would you do to save your smartphone from destruction? T-Mobile hired a research firm to conduct a survey and share the silly, stupid and gross results. Here are some of the results:
59% of smartphone owners said they would reach into a toilet to retrieve their phone.
63% would dig through stinky garbage if they couldn’t find their phone.
25% would fight a thief.
17% would venture onto a train track or into a tunnel for their phone.
12% would run into traffic if they dropped their phone in the middle of the street.
10% would rather leave home without pants than without their phone.
50% of women said they’d rather leave home without make-up than their smartphone.
Friday Toy Memory: Fisher Price Record Player. I used to get down with mine. I remember I had"Camptown Races" and "London Bridges". I went toAmazonand it had a picture of the exact version I had. Rememberthis?
Why put cheese on top of the bun? I think it's stupid. Anyway in the Phillipines, KFC has decided it's a good idea to put the cheese on top of the bun. Okie dokie. These are the same people that replaced the bun with 2 hunks of fried chicken with their Double Down Sandwich. Read more about this new uh, invention here.
Have you ever written a fan letter to a celebrity? When I was a teenager, I sent a fan letter to Malcom Jamal Warner from the Cosby show. (see pic on the left).
It's become popular in the past few years...duct tape dresses like these. Well now there are awards...read on...
Every year we hear about kids making prom dresses and tuxedos out of Duct tape, and this year is no different. A Kansas teen has earned a spot as a finalist in a national design competition with a prom dress made entirely from Duct tape. Brooke Wallace, of Solomon, says she spent more than 200 hours fashioning a western-style prom dress for herself and a suit for her date from 42 rolls of Duct tape. She also created a purse and earrings for herself and a bolo tie, lariat, gun and holster for her date, all from Duct tape. Wallace and her date, Mark Aylward, could each win $5,000 scholarships and their school could get $5,000 as well. The winners of the contest sponsored by Duck Tape will be chosen through online voting that runs through July 11th.
I have always liked necktie dresses like this one. Here's a site that tells you how to make one if you want.
Who wouldn't love hot, fresh, pizza in about 3 minutes or less? I WOULD LOVE IT! There is a new pizza vending machine headed to the states. They have been in operation since 2009 in other countries and they are a success. Look at the"Let's Pizza"site where they have a demo video. Options are not just limited to cheese and pepperoni, either. The world as you know it is about to change.
Ever wonder about the types of germs on you? Yeah, well so were researchers.
For the first time, scientists have cataloged human germs, determining that more than 10,000 species of microbes can be found in and on a healthy person. These bugs– mostly benign but occasionally causing illness–occupy just about every part of the body, living on the skin, in the stomach and intestines, up the nose– and every other orifice according
to the Human Microbiome Project. The germ gene map is the culmination of the five-year, $173 million effort involving hundreds of scientists and dozens of universities. Researchers found that both the number and variety of microbes differed among an individual’s body habitats. They also observed that conditions such as temperature and acidity, as well as the work being done by the human cells in the various body habitats, appear to influence which microbes live there.
Today when I was driving into work, I put the radio on scan and heard this station playing Christmas music. I couldn't figure out why until I thought about the date. Today is June 25th...meaning we are exactly 6 months away from Christmas. Well if you're super anal, you knew that and you have already begun your Christmas shopping.
Also today marks three years since the passing of Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. That said, I was looking for tributes to the King of Pop and found this really interesting art project this guy has created. You can be a part of it and it's free! Check it out!Here's a video about it too.
Have you ever been called vain? I am. I take an awful lot of pictures of myself on my cell phone. It's kind of embarrassing when I go to show someone a picture on my cell phone and I have to wade through pics of myself. :(. Anyhoo, Men's Health Magazine ranked the most vain places. Here are the most and least vain.
You’re So Vain
Tampa, Florida, is home to the vainest people in America, while the citizens of Des Moines, Iowa, are the least concerned with appearances, according to Men’s Health. To determine the rankings, Men’s Health added up each city’s percentage of Botox users, folks who go for hair coloring, and people who will spend anything to look younger. At-home teeth whiteners, shapewear as well as per-capita rates of cosmetic procedures, cosmetic dentists, plastic surgeons and tanning salons were also tallied up. The 10 Most Vain and 10 Least Vain cities are:
So do you have a cute little or big pup that you always talk about at work? Today is your day to do a grownup version of Show and tell. Today is Take Your Dog To Work Day. There's a website dedicated to it and I have to admit that it's really cute with all the pics of the dogs. If you are somehow allergic to dogs, take your Zyrtek or other allergy meds before heading into the office today!
Check out the site. I love the photo gallery.
I was in a drive thru the other day and the lady called me baby, sweetie, hun, darlin or some other three different times and it kinda irritated me. I found a blog that dealt with this topic. Read it here. I took calls about it and people had interesting things to say. The break down was that I heard from women who said they didn't like it and the guys called and said it wasn't that big of a deal. Interesting.
Friday Toy Memory: Connect 4! Loved that game and I was kind of a Connect 4 wunderkind as a child. I guess I should have known that was going to lead to a lifetime of competitiveness, huh?
I love little silly tidbits of information--like this one...
Q. According to a study by Lloyd’s Bank of London, out of an original batch of 100,000 paper clips released throughout the workforce, 5,308 were used to do this. What?
A. Clean under fingernails!
I have a friend who is biking across the country from Oregon to Maryland this summer. How cool is that? Anyway, when I came across a story about someone attacking a guy on a bike with ...uh SAUSAGES and a wrench, I had to do a doubletake. Hope nothing wacky like that happens to him. Read about the random attack here.
What's your favorite summer song? I have two of them--one is older and the other one is newer. I've posted them below. By the way, Billoboard charted the Top 30 summer songs of all time and I'm happy cause my picks are on the list. Both songs make me smile! :)
Howdy y'all! So I wake up at an ungodly hour of the morning. I usually use radio and tv to wake me up. This morning I was watching ABC's World News Now. They have a fun casual style when reporting on lighthearted stories. I really like it and usually get a laugh to start my morning...in the middle of the night. I heard the story below there and thought I'd share it with you.
I'm pretty excited about this development!
Arsenio Hall Returns To TV It’s official: Arsenio Hall is returning to television, partnering with CBS Television Distribution for a late-night talk show. Hall’s new show will debut in fall 2013. In May, Hall defeated former “American Idol” contestant Clay Aiken to be crowned the fifth-cycle winner of NBC’s Donald Trump-hosted “Celebrity Apprentice” and has been vocal with his desire to return to the talk-show circuit.
On the heels of Father's day, hope you had a great day either with your dad, honoring your dad, or putting your feet up if you are a dad.
Do you consider yourself to be stressed out? Read this...
WE'RE STRESSED OUT _ Our stress level has been mapped between 1983 and 2009, and the news isn't good. As you might expect, stress levels for both men and women have shot up dramatically -- 25% for men, and 18% for women. Women feel greater stress overall, though. There is good news: stress lowers as we get older. Folks in their 20s were more stressed than those in their 30s, and so on.Read more here.
Going on vaca this summer? I'm not sure I am. Here are some interesting stats from an online survey. I find that I fit into some of these categories definitely.
Whether the economy is improving on a large scale or not, a majority of Americans are planning to take a summer vacation by September 2012, according to the Morpace Omnibus. An online survey revealed that 58% of Americans will be taking a summer vacation this year, with 26% not planning to take one and 16% undecided. Among those who are planning a summer vacation, 61% plan to travel within the U.S. and more than 100 miles from their home. Some vacationers will take multiple vacations (such as long weekends) but closer to home stating that they will travel within a 100 mile radius of their home. Surprisingly 17% plan to travel internationally. The Morpace Omnibus also found that:
About 42% will be vacationing for “more than a week” (which could include multiple trips) and 35% plan to vacation for “about a week.”
51% of vacationers plan to stay in hotels, motels and inns. The next highest response was 28% who would stay with family or friends.
July is the most popular month for vacations, with 44% of Americans taking at least one summer vacation during July.
Americans are still watching their budgets – 34% will spend $2,000 or more and the study had an average summer vacation spending of nearly $1,850 per respondent.
The majority of vacationers will use funds from savings accounts (72%) and/or credit cards (43%) to pay for their vacations.
Have you ever tried Zumba? It's an awesome new way to get fit using dance, latin and otherdance styles like samba, merengue, hip hop and mambo.
Dads With The Best Moves On The Dance Floor
According to a new Facebook survey by Zumba Fitness, “Men in Black 3” star Will Smith by far has the best moves on the dance floor. Smith proves that after all these years he can still get jiggy wit it– beating out tough competition from the likes of Mario Lopez, John Travolta and the man with all the moves (and lips), Mick Jagger. In honor of Sunday’s Father’s Day holiday, Zumba Fitness compiled a list of 10 celebrity dads, choosing the fathers whose fancy footwork has helped secure them a name in the dancing arena. Once chosen, voting was opened up to the public.
The following list reveals how Zumba Fitness dance enthusiasts rank their favorite Hollywood fathers’ dancing skills: (I'm not sure how Jon Bon Jovi ended up on the list. )
1. Will Smith--Exploding into the public eye in the 1980s, Smith danced, rapped and acted his way to fame– becoming a household name with his successful run in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and following it up with roles in “Independence Day,“Ali", the “Men in Black” trilogy.
2. Mario Lopez -– Lopez danced into our lives as A.C. Slater on “Saved By The Bell” and has been dancing ever since – from “Dancing with the Stars” and “America’s Best Dance Crew” to “Extra” and Broadway’s “A Chorus Line.”
3. John Travolta-– Grooving his way into the spotlight in the 1970s with roles in “Grease” and “Saturday Night Live,” Travolta has been “staying alive” ever since– dancing through the decades with one hit movie after another.
4. Ricky Martin –– From Menudo and pop superstardom to raving reviews in Broadway's “Evita,” Martin salsa’d his way to international fame, while showing us just how “loca” life could be through his sensual moves on the
5. Usher –– Rising to fame in the 1990s with his 6-time platinum album, “My Way,” Usher is now internationally known as the DJ who’s smooth voice and slick dance style has had us falling in love again and again, and again.
6. Jon Bon Jovi -– He may give love a bad name, but Bon Jovi’s career has not been livin’ on a prayer. Ever since hitting the music scene in the 1980s, this rock star has been serving up timeless hits that will have even the worst dancers up out of their seat, and rocking out on the floor.
7. Hugh Jackman -– From Broadway to the silver screen and beyond, Jackman is one of Hollywood’s hottest triple threats – singing, dancing and entertaining his way into our hearts with films such as “X-Men” to upcoming adaptation of “Les Miserables.”
8. Kevin Bacon-- As one of Hollywood’s most recognized actors, Bacon has had a sizzling hot career, starring in cinematic classics such as “National Lampoon's Animal House,” “Tremors”, and “Footloose,” where he showed off that in addition to his acting chops, he also had some impressively, fancy footwork.
9. Tom Cruise – From the moment Cruise first busted his signature moves in the 1983 classic "Risky Business,” the American public was hooked! Nearly 30 years later, this Hollywood top gun is still stealing our attention with lead roles in films like the upcoming summer blockbuster, “Rock of Ages.”
10. Mick Jagger – If Rock & Roll had royalty, Jagger would be the King. Showing off his moves on stage since he founded the Rolling Stones as teenager, the legend has inspired countless musicians including Maroon 5, who’s song “Moves Like Jagger” skyrocketed through the charts– becoming a worldwide best-selling single.
Friday Toy Memory: I loooooved my Chinese Checkers game when I was a kid. I even packed it up and took it to a friends house for a sleepover. My mom told me I'd lose the marbles (I did later in life but that's another story) and I did lose the marbles at my friends house. She had to go out and buy more...she was pissed about that I think!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_checkers
WHAT DAD REALLY WANTS THIS WEEKEND _ It turns out there's a big disconnect between what women think men want for Fathers Day, and what those men actually want. A survey found 60% of women think their man would love a ticket to a sporting event, while only 36% of men pick that as their top choice. Women also thought their man would love a powertool. Maybe not.
... What do men really want? Here it is: a smartphone or tablet. That was followed by a home cooked meal. The majority of men ranked those two as their top choices.
Today is Flag Day! Here are a few fun facts...
Today in 1777 John Adams introduced the following resolution before the Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: "Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States shall be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white on a blue field, representing a new constellation."
Hopefully you got a chance to hear Dave White from Movies.com.
Not really but get this. If you are online with Google and Facebook, they are certainly taking not of what you are doing. Don't believe me?
GUESS WHO TRACKS YOU ON THE WEB THE MOST? _ Who's tracking your movements across the web? The biggest offenders are Google and Facebook, according to a new semi-annual analysis of the ad tracking industry (Evidon Global Tracker Report). Using data collected by the browser plugin Ghostery the top five trackers of Internet users were all Google and Facebook. Read this!
HEY KLUTZES, IT'S YOUR DAY _ It's Kitchen Klutzes of America Day. Are you the person who spills the milk? Are you the person who knocks the dish off the counter and breaks it? Well my accident-prone friends today is your day. On Kitchen Klutzes of America Day it's OK to be klutzey. Who knew?
Top 10 Best Car Brands For 2012
Total Car Score (www.totalcarscore.com) has announced the Top Scoring Manufacturers of 2012. The Top Scoring Car Awards cover all major vehicle categories for model year 2012. The best car awards are based on Total Car Score’s ranking formula, which offers a comprehensive evaluation of autos in every segment from the cushy seats for your beautiful bottom to that fab engine under the hood. The reviews and ratings are translated into a single Total Car Score that allows visitors to quickly and easily compare cars. The manufacturer’s score is based on the average Total Car Score for every model within the manufacturer’s product line up. On a personal note, I'm surprised that more sensible cars weren't on the list like Honda's. Interesting.
Top 10 Best Car Brands for 2012
Manufacturer Manufacturer Score
1. Infiniti 82.09
2. Mercedes-Benz 81.82
3. Buick 81.30
4. Audi 80.93
5. Lexus 80.51
6. Volkswagen 80.40
7. Acura 80.01
8. Chrysler 79.78
9. BMW 79.35
10. Kia 79.31
Are you a morning person? Me...not so much. I read this and it kinda bummed me out.
"Sorry, night owls. A new study finds that morning people aren't chipper just as the sun is coming up; they are happier and more satisfied with life overall." Read more here.
Did you hear this story? An English teacher at Wellesley High School is under fire for attempting to take students down a notch in his speech to the class of 2012. "You are not special. You are not exceptional,” David McCullough Jr. told graduating seniors from an affluent Massachusetts town last weekend. He also rattled off some numbers: 3.2 million seniors were graduating at that very moment, half the class would end up divorced, and that "Even if you're one in a million, on a planet of 6.8 billion that means there are nearly 7,000 people just like you." Some have slammed McCullough for being too harsh, while others are calling his speech a brilliant wake-up call. See the story here.
I saw this study about how to know if you're a grown up. Apparently I am. Who knew? I very much agree with the sensible shoes thing. I have this whole soapbox issue that you just can't find cute shoes anymore. They are either grandma shoes with no style or skanky shoes with a 5 inch heel. I can't walk in the latter so that means, I'm forced to buy/wear grandma shoes. :(.
Here's the info
How To Tell If You’re A Grown-Up
A mortgage, making financial decisions without parents, a retirement fund, food shopping and having a will are the top signs of an adult, British researchers say. Tracy Fletcher, head of corporate communications for Skipton Building Society, said their study of 2,000 people found 50 things indicating adulthood, but almost all agreed owning a home was top on the list – something made much harder since the credit crisis in 2008. Many of the items on the list involved a home – being able to bleed a radiator, owning a lawn mower, planting a flower garden, changing a light bulb and owning guest towels. Other rites of passage and skills included:
Keeping track of interest rates
Budgeting every month
Finding a messy house annoying
Being able to cook from scratch
Owning a vacuum cleaner
Holding dinner parties
Having life insurance
Parents start asking you for advice
Wearing coats on a night out
Having a savings account
Going to bed before 11 p.m.
Watching the news
Doing your own washing
You wash up immediately after eating
Having a joint bank account
Wearing sensible shoes
Having a view on politics
Being able to change a car tire
HOKEY POKEY RECORD SET _ A line of 2,569 people danced the Hokey Pokey on a bridge spanning New York's Hudson River Saturday. They broke a 2008 record set by 2,354 people in Estonia.
Here are some of the fun things we chatted about this morn...
America’s Wackiest Summer Events
TripAdvisor has announced 10 wacky summer events in the U.S., as chosen by TripAdvisor editors. From the world’s largest mosquito, to a “slugburger” eating contest and bat costume competitions, these events feature off-the-wall fun for travelers seeking quirky pursuits as the mercury rises.
1. The Great Texas Mosquito Festival – June 26-28, Clute, Texas 2. Slugburger Festival – July 12-14, Corinth, Mississippi http://www.slugburgerfestival.com 3. World Chicken Festival –September 27-30. London, Kentucky
4. Humungus Fungus Fest – August 3-5, Crystal Falls, Michigan
5. Wausau Possum Festival – August 4th, Wausau, Florida 6. Batfest – August 25th, Austin, Texas
7. National Hollerin’ Contest – June 16th, Spivey’s Corner, North Carolina 8. Cream Cheese Festival – September 15th, Lowville, New York 9. Hope Watermelon Festival – August 9-11, Hope, Arkansas 10. Mattoon Bagelfest – July 19-21, Mattoon, Illinois
Dads are starting to feel the love on Father's day...
Families are closing the Father’s Day-Mother’s Day spending gap, with loved ones forecast to spend $117.14 on average, or 10 percent more than last year, according to the National Retail Federation. The spending estimate shows that the gap between Father’s Day and Mother’s Day spending has narrowed in recent years – shoppers expected to spend about $35 less for Father’s Day than for Mother’s Day this year versus a difference of $40 in 2007. Dad can expect to be showered with a special outing, such as golf or a sporting event, with consumers spending a collective $2.3 billion this year versus $2 billion last year, and electronic gifts, clothing and gift cards, each of the latter three expected to garner $1.7 billion in spending. More than one-quarter of mobile shoppers who own a tablet (25.2 percent) say they will use the tablet to make a Father’s Day purchase, and one in 10 smartphone owners will buy a gift through their smartphone. Overall, Father’s Day spending is expected to total $12.7 billion nationwide, up 14% collectively, from last year’s $11.1 billion.
Friday Toy Memory: Magic Potty Baby. Wha? I was in college when this toy came out but it amuses me. A much younger friend of mine mentioned this toy. It was a doll that came with a toilet and it would...uh, go potty. Ah, the 90's.
I saw the story below about Samuel L. Jackson. I kept trying to find the right way to say on the air that he's a bada$$. I try really hard not to cuss on the air (for fear of losing my job). :) Anyway. He is totally bada$$!
SAMUEL L. JACKSON IS A TV MOGUL IN THE NEW ROBOCOP_ The latest addition to the cast of the remake of RoboCop is Samuel L. Jackson, who will play a character named Pat Novak. The description makes him sound like an updated version of Bixby Snyder, the Benny Hill-inspired "I'd buy that for a dollar!" TV personality from the original film. Jackson's character is described as "a charismatic TV mogul and a powerful force in the Robocop world."
I read this story of a senior prank that just cracked me up...(sticking with the Samuel L. Jackson theme...). This is different than Snakes on a Plane. It's Goats on a Roof!Read on.
Goats Removed From High School Roof Police in Connecticut said they do not know the origins of four goats placed atop a high school roof in an apparent senior prank. Simsbury police and firefighters said they were called to Simsbury High School after the custodian noticed the goats on the roof around 6 a.m. yesterday. Investigators said they are hoping a tag on one of the animals will lead them to the owner.
After reading that story, I thought about some of the best senior pranks ever played. I came across a few that were good from Buzzfeed.com. (some of them are just annoying and the videos are just dumb)
Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous as this?....shin kicking? Really?
Shin-Kicking Championships The judge of the Shin-kicking Championships in Britain said the sport is about more than just two men kicking each other below the knees. James Wiseman, who judged this year’s Shin-kicking Championships at the Cotswold Olimpicks, an event held in Chipping Camden, England, on-and-off since the 1600s, said the event is similar to wrestling. Wiseman said, “The easiest ways to describe it is it’s a bit like wrestling but with a lot of contact below the knees. The idea is really to throw the person to the ground, but to throw the person to the ground you’ve got to unbalance by kicking them first.” The winner of this year’s event was Zac Warren, 23, of Pershaw, England.
The summer travel season officially kicked off with the Memorial Day holiday weekend, and AAA estimates it will come to the rescue of 7.9 million stranded motorists between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The three maintenance tasks AAA recommends all motorists perform before hitting the road for a summer road trip include:
1. Inspect All FIVE Tires: AAA estimates it will assist nearly 1.1 million motorists with flat tires. One of the most frequently overlooked items on a vehicle is the spare tire. When inspecting tires, it’s important to know if your vehicle even has a spare. If so, be sure it is properly inflated and stowed. If you cannot locate a spare tire, ensure your vehicle has an alternate solution, such as an emergency sealant and inflator kit or run-flat tires that allow the car to be driven to a safe location.
2.Check and Clean Car Battery: AAA estimates it will assist nearly 1.6 million motorists with dead batteries during the summer driving season – replacing nearly 500,000 batteries at the roadside. Summer heat breaks down car batteries internally and accelerates the rate of corrosion on the vehicle’s battery terminals. Check the battery cables and ensure they are securely attached to the terminals. Clean the terminals if there are signs of corrosion. It is not enough to simply remove external corrosion; proper cleaning requires disconnecting the cables to clean the hidden areas where they contact the battery terminals.
3. Replace Wiper Blades and Refill Washer Fluid: Rain, insects, grime and other debris on a windshield will compromise the driver’s vision, and safety, if the wipers cannot remove them. Check the windshield washer fluid reservoir monthly or more often if the washers are used frequently. Top it off with a solution formulated to aid in the removal of insects and other debris. Also check the wiper blades. If blades are worn, cracked or rigid with age, they will not adequately remove rain, grime and other debris that can obscure driver vision. If the wiper blades are sufficiently deteriorated, the metal wiper blade frame could contact and permanently damage the windshield.
I have this thing I call the Hot Dads club. It's where I spot a good looking dad with his kids. I usually comment to friends that I'd gladly throw him in the "Hot Dads Club". Just so you know, I found a tumbler page of Hot Dads-- Nice! :)
Ahem, I digress, I was supposed to be telling you about voting for the best "Big Daddys". They are awards for all kinds of famous dads, celeb dads, musician dads, politician dads etc. Read a little about it here and spend a few minutes to vote. (more like 7 minutes is what it took for me to finish voting)
Big Daddy Awards
Several celebrity fathers have received nominations for the first annual Big Daddy Awards, presented by On The Line, a national prostate cancer awareness campaign. Nominations include top celebrities and noted figures in fun and unique categories – Brad Pitt is nominated for “Heartthrob Big Daddy,” Jay-Z for “Hip Hop Big Daddy,” David Beckham for “Best Dressed Big Daddy,” Bono for “Do Gooder Big Daddy” and President Obama for “Presidential Candidate Big Daddy.” Other nominees include Mario Batali for “Hottest Thing in the Kitchen Big Daddy,” Clint Eastwood for “Iconic Big Daddy,” Cee Lo Green for “Bald and the Beautiful Big Daddy,” LeBron James for “Pro Hoops Big Daddy,” Donald Trump for “Business Mogul Big Daddy,” and even All-Time TV greats from Andy Griffith, Hugh Beaumont, Bill Cosby, Michael Landon, Ray Romano and George Lopez for “TV Dad Hall of Fame Big Daddy.” “The Biggest Daddy of the Year Award” will go to the dad with the most votes overall. You can check out all of the nominees and cast your vote at www.bigdaddyawards.com, through Father’s Day, June 17th. The winners will be announced the following day. In addition to voting for their favorite “Big Daddy,” fans can show their support by making a donation in honor of their father or a loved one by logging onto www.onthelinefoundation.org.
Some people just aren't that computer savvy. There are things you can do while surfing to keep your computer safe. Here is a list of things people should do...or NOT do.
10 Dangerous Things Users Do Online
Researchers at internet security service provider CyberDefender look at some of the most dangerous things users do online. They also offer advice on how to avoid these negative habits.
1. Checking the “keep me signed in” box: Never check this box if you are not using your personal laptop. If you just sign in to any site from a public PC, make sure to sign off once you are done. Delete your browser history when completed. Use your browser’s privacy mode where possible, and never save passwords.
2. Failing to update: Java, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash are responsible for an astounding number of PC infections due to security exploits. The best way to avoid becoming a target is to update all three software as often as you can. Make sure to update Windows operating system by setting Windows updates to install automatically.
3. Searching for celebrity gossip: Malware authors know that people naturally gravitate towards the sex and celebrity combo, so new attacks are targeted specifically towards this crowd. If you must, search for news on Google News, Bing News or other aggregator. When searching on Google, use https://www.google.com instead of the common http://www.google.com.
4. Using BitTorrent: Stick to official downloads and streams such as iTunes, Hulu and legitimate websites. Avoid torrent sites at all costs, as some of its ads could be compromised.
5. Searching for free adult content: This might turn out to be quite expensive, as free porn sites can be downright shady in the way they treat users. Stick to paid sites, and also invest in a high-quality security suite.
6. Online gaming: Be careful when downloading free to play (F2P) clients. Do not give out any kind of information, personal or not, to people you meet while gaming. At the very least, you could have your virtual items stolen. At worst, you could lose real money. Avoid falling for the old “FarmVille Secrets” scam. You will either download a Trojan or expose your Facebook login info to criminals.
7. Leaving Facebook privacy settings open: Carefully review your privacy settings on Facebook. Do not let “friends of friends” see your birthday or contact. All of these could be used to impersonate you.
8. Connecting to unknown wireless networks: In public places, be careful about logging into unknown (private) wireless networks. Make sure you choose the official one.
9. Using one password for all accounts: If that one password leaks out to cybercriminals, your entire online life is suddenly open to the world. Keep different passwords for different purposes. Certain browsers can also help with a “master password” that keeps a multitude of passwords in check. Using a tool like Roboform or Password Vault that encrypts information and uses best practices to generate passwords is an even better idea.
10. Trying to get free stuff: If an online offer sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Avoid any give away that is not supported in a big way by a known brand. Keep a security suite fully updated to catch phishing attempts resulting from this kind of scam.
The Transit of Venus is today (Tuesday) and Wednesday. This is a relatively rare event, and the next one won't happen until December 10, 2117. The exact time depends on where you are on Earth; NASA has a list of times for US cities and for the rest of the world: http://venustransit.nasa.gov/2012/transit/
Xanax - check.
Bottle of wine at home - check.
Dark sunglasses/ball cap disguise - check.
Shrink on speed dial - check.
(sigh) ok. Time to go try on bathing suits.
Hilarious! After reading this, I read the results of a study the magazine Marie Claire conducted about what swimsuits men would most like to see women wearing. Not surprisingly, 93 percent prefer a bikini over a one-piece. But what is surprising is that they like a standard two-piece better than a string bikini, which 26 percent say is too revealing and leaves little to the imagination. Meanwhile, 79 percent of men fail to see the sexiness of a high-waisted, 50s pinup-style suit, and 78 percent of men can't stand the monokini -- a one-piece suit in which the sides are completely cut out -- saying, "I don't get it." Read about it here.
West Virginia tries to set a record for the most number of people to do a zip line in an hour. Yesterday, at AceRaft in Minden (about 5 hours from us), took the challenge. I saw the story on ABC News. Here is the website for ACE that tells about it.
Apparently the record was broken. Read on. ZIP-LINERS SET WORLD RECORD _ It was a day for the history books as zip-liners in West Virginia set a new Guinness World Record. Their challenge was to top the number of zip-liners crossing the sky in exactly one hour. On Sunday, the team made 184 crossings, shattering the previous world record of 122.
Did you know.... Today is National Donut Day? Read on!!!!1
Dunkin’ Donuts it will be honoring National Donut Day today with a sweet deal for donut lovers. Participating Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants nationwide will offer guests a free donut of their choice (while supplies last) with the purchase of any beverage. To find a participating Dunkin’ Donuts restaurant near you, visitwww.dunkindonuts.com. National Donut Day, celebrated on the first Friday of June each year, was originally established in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to honor women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I. The Salvation Army has also partnered with Entenmann’s Bakery. Entenmann’s will donate $1 for every person who “likes” theEntenmann’s Facebook page, up to $25,000. Entenmann’s will also be rewarding lucky winners with “Free Donuts for a Year” and additional prizes through its Facebook page. Click hereto register for the donuts for a year!
Here are some health facts about donuts. I think I'm just on a roll now... if you are on Weight Watchers, here are some points values for your donuts today. Courtesy of Hungry Girl!
Also, here's a little video of a song that will get caught in your head!
Are you one of those people who likes to fuel up on Gatorade? Then read this!
The Gatorade folks aren't going to like this... not one bit. It turns out everything you need during a hardcore workout is in a simple banana. Researchers tested bananas vs. Gatorade during a tough period of cycling, and discovered that bananas deliver the same performance as sports drinks, and offered up a healthier blend of sugars. Of course, it's hard to dump a bucket of bananas over your coaches head after the big game, so Gatorade will always have its place.
Here are some health facts about donuts. I think I'm just on a roll now... if you are on Weight Watchers, here are some points values for your donuts today. Courtesy of Hungry Girl!
It’s National Donut Day. No matter how you spell it -- donuts or doughnuts -- these treats can be SUPER-HARD to resist. We're arming you with info so you can make the smartest splurge possible!
The Donut Rundown!
We averaged common donut varieties from coffee shops, supermarkets, convenience stores, and more. Here are the facts...
Donut hole: 60 calories, 3g fat (PointsPlus® value 2*) Glazed: 240 calories, 12g fat (PointsPlus® value 7*) Frosted: 260 calories, 15g fat (PointsPlus® value 8*) Cream-filled: 300 calories, 14g fat (PointsPlus® value 8*) Jelly-filled: 300 calories, 14g fat (PointsPlus® value 8*) Cruller: 300 calories, 17g fat (PointsPlus® value 8*) Fritter: 380 calories, 17g fat (PointsPlus® value 11*)
Oh yeah, Justin Beiber is a clutz! ...
JUSTIN BIEBER INJURES HIMSELF AFTER WALKING INTO GLASS WALL _ Justin Bieber was knocked out cold after running into a wall of glass during a concert in Paris. Justin was performing on stage, and in between songs he walked backstage and hit the glass. He says he was disoriented, but went back on stage and finished his set. As he walked to his dressing room he passed out cold, for around 15 seconds. Doctors say Justin suffered a concussion but he'll be OK.